Direct Line offer a choice of two policies with optional benefits which means you can tailor the policy to meet your needs. They do not at present offer any lifetime policies, but you do not have to pay a percentage of vet fees for pets of any age.
Their most comprehensive policy is a maximum benefit policy which will pay up to £8,000 per condition without time limit.
This review of Direct Line Pet Insurance policies by The Pet Insurance Guide published in March 2021. For further information about how the rating of 3.7 out of 5 was arrived at please see Direct Line Pet Insurance – How Good is it?
The Direct Line Group is the largest general retail insurer in the UK. It owns the Direct Line brand as well as Churchill Insurance and Green Flag.
The Direct Line brand was launched in 1985 and is different from most other insurers in that it will own deal directly with the customer, which means that their policies are not listed on any comparison engines.
The Direct Line policies are underwritten by UK Insurance Ltd which is part of the Direct Line Group.
The feedback we have seen for Direct Line is mixed. Read Direct Line Customer Reviews analysis
- Optional benefits
- You can double the excess in return for lower premium
- No contribution payments for pets of any age
- No policies that will provide lifetime cover
- Does not pay for any diet food
- Cover for hydrotherapy and physiotherapy is limited to 15 sessions per condition
- There are specified treatment limits (eg. Consultation £45, Physiotherapy session £35)
- Will only pay for out of hours treatment where absolutely essential and required to avoid seriously worsening your pet’s condition
- Will not pay for euthanasia
Other Points to Note
- Dental cover includes cover for dental conditions caused by accidents or underlying illnesses but not gum or tooth disease.
- The maximum age for taking out new policies is 10 years (6 for selected dog breeds).
Click on a policy name to view full policy details
About Direct Line Pet Insurance
Pet Insurance Terminology Explained
Recent Claim Experiences with Direct Line?
If you have claimed on a Direct Line policy in last 12 months it would be great if you could share your experiences with others by completing our 2-minute survey.