Undoubtedly the UK’s most popular pet insurance provider. Although initially expensive Petplan have reputation for low premium increases.
And as neither do they raise premiums if you claim they can work out as good value for money in the long term.
You will have to pay 20% of vet fees for older pets. There are also one or two minor unexpected exclusions.
About this Review
This review of Petplan Pet Insurance policies by The Pet Insurance Guide was published in March 2022. For further information about how the rating of 4.2 out of 5 was arrived at please see Petplan Pet Insurance – How Good is it?
If you ask for pet insurance recomendations on forums or Facebook you will usually get several people tell you how happy they are with Petplan
The average claims satisfaction rating from 150 reviews in our recent survey was 4.6/5
See more about Petplan customer reviews
Petplan is the market leader in UK pet insurance.
Petplan are part of the Allianz insurance group of companies and have been providing pet insurance since 1976.
Allianz Insurance is one of the largest general insurers in the UK and part of the Allianz SE Group, one of the leading integrated financial services providers worldwide.
- Good range of lifetime policies available
- Includes dental cover for illnesses as well as accidents
- Optional death benefits
- Most vets are happy to deal directly with Petplan which means you are unlikely to have to pay up front and reclaim.
- Pet insurance specialists
- Have a very large number of policyholders which means they are better able to spread the risk than smaller providers which helps them avoid large renewal increases.
- Will only pay very limited prescription food (Will only pay for food which is to treat either the first occurrence of bladder stones or crystals in urine (max 40% for six months) or is liquid food given whilst your pet is hospitalised (max 5 days)
- Will only pay for 10 hydrotherapy sessions per condition over a lifetime.
- Do not pay for euthanasia, burial or cremation.
- High fixed excess for dogs (£95-£105) and on some cat policies.
- You have to pay 20% of vet fees for pets over 8
- Maximum age for new lifetime policies is 7 years for dogs and 9 years for cats.
Click on any policy name to view full details of the policy.
Essential Plan £3,000 Time-Limited
Covered for Life Classic £4,000 or £7,000 Lifetime
Covered for Life Ultimate £12,000 Lifetime
About Petplan Pet Insurance
Pet Insurance Terminology Explained
Recent Claim Experiences with Petplan
If you have claimed on a Petplan policy in last 12 months it would be great if you could share your experiences with others by completing our 2-minute survey.